Sunday, February 22, 2009

Jackie Lee Miles - Jan. 23, 2009

Although our conversation ranged over many topics during the one-hour interview, I've recevied the most comments about Cold Rock River, Jackie's novel that weaves together threads of domestic abuse, child abuse, an injured VietNam vet, and the way in which the hundred-year-old diary of a slave woman whose children were sold away from her. helps a young woman heal and take charge of her own life.

Last year at the Decatur Book Festival, Jackie and I ended up on the same stage, reading from our books. I was particularly impressed at the way she had the beginnings of all her books memorized and could flow seamlessly from one reading to the next. This is a skill I need to work on.

Several weeks before the show I asked Jackie why she hadn't joined Sisters in Crime, and she said, "But I don't write mysteries." Well, they may not technically be called mysteries, but her Roseflower Creek and Cold Rock River are chock full of mystery in the very best sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment