Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Getting started - January 2, 2009

I love to know the story-behind-the-story, and I thought you might like to, also. Each week, therefore, I'm going to post some notes about what went on behind the scenes in my radio show, Mystery Matters: Where Murder is an Open Book.

I've waited a while to get up my nerve to start this blog. There's been so much reading to do, and so much preparation for the show each week, that blogging seemed like one too many chores. On the other hand, I've collected some fun stories I'd love to share. So I'll go back to the beginning of the show, January 2, 2009, when I interviewed Patricia Terrell, who writes as p.m. terrell. I'd met Trish several years ago, when we both spoke at a writers' conference. When she invited me to speak at the Robeson County Library in Lumberton NC last year, I jumped at the chance. She was kind enough to put me up at her house, and we stayed up talking after the Thursday night program until three in the morning. What a joy to get to know a kindred spirit.

It made sense, then, for me to ask her to be my first guest on Mystery Matters. After the show my sister called me from Colorado and said, "I'm not sure anybody else would have noticed, but you sure did sound nervous." I hope nobody (except my sister) could tell that my hands were shaking. I was most scared about making the transitions between air time and commercial time smooth. Hmmm. It took a few shows. Luckily, Trish and I were able to laugh about her dog-story, and since I'd already met her dogs, I think our conversation came across quite well. Thank goodness nobody heard the paper rattling as I tried to hold the script, juggle email questions coming in from listeners, and pay attention to the clock.

For the next few days I'll post about each show until we've caught up to the current week. Then I'll post each Friday (or Saturday) after Mystery Matters.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Fran, I thought I'd send you a word through your blog. I think it's fun. I've also started a blog, but I honestly don't have a clue how it works. You can visit Natala's Book Room and see what happens.
    Love,
    Nat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Natala! I don't have a clue about how to use this blog effectively.

    But my latest mystery is coming along beautifully. It should be ready to go to my editor in a couple of weeks. I can never get over how much I love writing.

    By the way, your latest book FORBIDDEN is so good. I hope everybody reads it. Send back another comment and see if you can put in a link to your book room. You know, the http://www. . . . stuff. That much I do know--always put in a link.

    Love ya' right back,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete