Monday, April 6, 2009

What a Week - Panic and WHEW

What ever led me to schedule three shows in one week? There's the live show every Friday morning, of course. But then I went and booked two pre-records, both of them on Wednesday. Ahhh! It was April Fool's day. That must have been it.

When I started the radio show, I committed to read at least two (usually three) of each writer's books. That meant nine books in one week. Luckily I thoroughly enjoyed all of the books, and hated to have to read so fast. I love to soak up books, absorb them, relish them, wallow in them.

Denise Swanson (her show will air on April 24th) writes cozies about a school psychologist named Skye Denison. Jeanne Dams (May 8th) has two cozy series, one modern, one set in South Bend in the very early 1900s.
After the reading, I had to get three lists of questions together. There are always the usual questions, but then I have great fun digging deeper to find out who this writer really is - and why I should ask my listeners to spend their time (and their money) buying the books. I do hope you'll buy books. Preferably from an independent bookstore. We need to be sure those stores stay afloat!

The live show was Cassandra King - all right, she's not exactly a mystery writer, but I love the mystery (true sense of the word) that weaves through her book The Same Sweet Girls. Friday April 3rd wasn't April Fool's Day anymore, but the joke was on me - I'd just started on the morning meditation I do every weekday morning by phone with my friend Kathi Moon, and I glanced over at the file folder where I keep the Friday morning "script" (I use that word very loosely indeed) for the show. Nothing there! I'd forgotten to compile the questions. PANIC ! ! ! !

Needless to say, there wasn't much meditation going on for the next hour and a half. Luckily I got it done with a few minutes to spare. Called Kathi to tell her the world had not come to an end. Listened to her tell me to take a few deep breaths. Took them. Called in for the show. And had a great time talking with Cassandra. WHEW!

Speaking of WHEW - If you're in the vicinity of Lawrenceville Georgia this coming Thursday evening (the 9th) I'll be teaching a one-hour class on Overcoming Negativity for the "W.H.E.W. 50 Thursdays" program at The Singin' Bean http://www.thesinginbean.com/ W.H.E.W stands for Women Helping Educate Women, and it was the brainchild of Cindy Pitts Gilbert, the Bean's owner. Every week, a bunch of women get together at the Bean from 6:30 to 7:30, and learn about something interesting. The last class I taught there was on composting, something that Biscuit McKee, the librarian in my cat mysteries, does a lot of. Hope to see you there . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment