Sunday, March 8, 2009

Libby Fischer Hellmann - 03/06/09

One of the challenges of hosting Mystery Matters has been to read, read, read. I committed to myself, the station, and the people I interview that I would read at least three books by each author I interview. In some cases I've already read a lot more than that, but many of the people I've invited to be on Mystery Matters are known to me only by reputation or by personal recommendation.



Such was the case with Libby Fischer Hellmann. I found her in the "Books in Print" listing on the Sisters in Crime website http://www.sistersincrime.org/. Then I checked with my friendly Gwinnett County librarian, who waxed enthusiastic. Finally I browsed at one of my favorite book stores, The Book Nook in East Ellijay, GA.



I ask each author I interview to send me a copy of the book they want to discuss (usually it's their latest one), but I figure it's up to me to get the rest. I'm the kind who will take money out of my monthly food budget to buy a good book.



I write cozy mysteries - but I'm beginning to see how compelling a heartfelt thriller can be. Libby's characters - Ellie Foreman and private investigator Georgia Davis - mirror enough of me to pull me into the story. Have I ever shot at anyone? No. Have I ever wanted to? Well . . .



Libby's forthright discussion of her fears around her daughter's teenage years touched a deep chord within me, and I was so caught up in our discussion (including the one off-mike during the breaks) that I completely missed a cue. I need to go to the archive and listen to the show to be sure I didn't say anything embarrassing! It's live radio for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment